Thursday, February 14, 2008

Cleaning Project

I am starting a new cleaning project.
During my quiet time at night I am going to write a list of jobs I would like to get done around the house the next day. (I will post them here) If you want you can follow my list and get things done at your home as well or even make your own!
Today my list is....
scrub highchair and swing
laundry
dishes
clean washroom
grocery shopping
scrub down table and chairs
I find that if I write a list I am more likely to accomplish my tasks. Usually I tidy the house constantly not feeling like I am getting anywhere. What are the kids going to be doing while I am cleaning? Why..cleaning with me of course! I will be writing what the kids have helped with and how they helped. I am going to make this fun! For ex. Amelie took a wisp broom and dust pan and cleaned under the table. They can help fold and put laundry away. Usually I don't want help because let's face it, it isn't help. It goes more slowly and more messy. I am just tired of the guilt when I am cleaning and the kids are watching TV and not doing something productive.
I am also going to list what natural cleaners I use and discover. For ex. When I clean the tub I will be using lemon juice and baking soda mixed together into a paste. I have not tried this yet but heard it works like a charm.
I encourage comments on how your children help you clean throughout your day. What did they learn? What natural cleaners do you use? What are your lists you have made?
Sound like a plan? I am really looking forward to getting things done and including my children.
This way we will have more time to do "school."

3 comments:

Rose Starr said...

Ah, chores...we are still undecided on the official chore thing. My kids make messes (what child does not?) and while they are playing (aka...making messes) I ask them, who will clean this up when you are done? They tell me with much gusto..."I will!"

We usually have tidy up time before lunch and before dinner. I ask them all to help and if they complain I tell them that they can pay me or a sibling to do their share. That usually gets them moving! My kids hold the almighty dollar (or quarter really) in high esteem.

They get 4 quarters each Monday to go in their jar. This is to teach them money management. They can spend or save...it's totally up to them...no comment from mom. But, if they waste food I charge 25 cents, if they wet the bed (due to drinking too much or not going before bed) there is a 25 cent charge to get their sheets washed. Then when we are at the store, if they see something they want to buy, they can (if they have the money!).

Sorry for the long comment!

They are really good about joining me in 'grown up' jobs like sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, mirrors, windows, ect...
~Rose

Unknown said...

No I love the long comments!
That is an excellent idea to give money..although mine would get nickels Haha.
Maybe I will start up something like this to help them learn about money and adding.

Unknown said...

No I love the long comments!
That is an excellent idea to give money..although mine would get nickels Haha.
Maybe I will start up something like this to help them learn about money and adding.