Friday, December 28, 2007

My children meet Lasta and Dorci from Indonesia

Tonight we were delighted to have some visitors! Our friends for many years work with Teen Missions Canada to help in other countries. They have two women from Indonesia (Lasta and Dorci) living with them for 3 years. This is a great opportunity for our children to learn about Indonesia. I am putting together a field trip with my local homeschool group to help out at the Charron's home. We are lucky enough to have Lasta and Dorci help us make bracelets that Teen Missions hand out all over the world. When we have some made I will post a picture with each bead's representation. The girls thoroughly enjoyed our company tonight (maybe enjoyed it a bit too much..hehe)
Dorci shared a story with me tonight that I would like to share with you.

A lot of people in Banda Aceh do not celebrate Christmas. Christians are not allowed to celebrate Christmas so are sent to the mountains during Christmas time. In 2004 the Tsunami hit and I believe most people were killed there. Her friends survived because they were up in the mountains.

We are going to be learning about Indonesia for a while now. This will be fun!

No comments: